24 Inspirations from a Legend: KOBE
You don’t have to be a basketball fan to feel the love that Kobe had in everything he did, especially for his first love: Basketball.
You don’t have to watch all his games to feel the passion and drive he radiates, even today, throughout the world. In fact, as a sister with a brother who saw Kobe as a great inspiration, I could not help but respect his tireless work ethic, passion, and love for game.
His games were daring.
His interviews were insightful.
His legacy lives on.
Although, many sports fanatics are the first to speak of Kobe’s endless passion and persistence, his life has no doubt inspired many non-sports fans off the court. Of course, there is much to learn from this basketball hero we call Kobe. He was more than an incredible competitor on the court, but a lover of life that sought to live a life for more than himself.
Kobe not only left behind his incredible competitive nature, but also left a legacy with one of the most incredible tools for success: Mamba Mentality.
Here are 24 Mamba Insights that will truly change how you live every moment:
1. It’s the one thing you can control. You are responsible for how people remember you-or Don’t. So, don’t take it lightly.
2. The most important thing is to try and inspire people, so that they can be great in whatever they want to do.
3. Everything negative — pressure, challenges — are all an opportunity for me to rise.
4. I don’t want to be the next Michael Jordan, I only want to be Kobe Bryant.
5. Definition of greatness: Is to inspire the people next to you.
[Kobe continues] How do you inspire another person, that will than inspire another person, that will than inspire another?
6. Q: What does love feel like? I would describe love as happiness. I think I would describe it as a beautiful journey. It has it’s ups and down. Whether it’s in marriage or whether it’s in a career. Things are never perfect. Through LOVE [though], you [can] continue to persevere. And move through them and through that storm a beautiful sun emerges. And inevitably, another storm comes. And you ride that one too. Love is a certain determination. And persistence to go through the good times and the bad times with someone you truly love.
7. What does losing feel like it to you? It’s exciting. It means you have different ways of getting better. It sucks to lose, but at the same time there are answers right there.
[Kobe continues] What’s hard is learning how to face it. You got to deal with it [to better prepare for what’s next.]
8. If you do not believe in yourself, no one will do it for you.
9. How do you cut through cloudy emotions? I try to be still. And understand that things come and go. Emotions come and go. To accept them all. To embrace them all. That you can choose to do with them, want you want. Versus being controlled by emotion. [..consumed by fear]
10. You asked for my hustle. I gave you my heart.
11. Micheal Jordan talks about Kobe: In the game of basketball, in life as a parent, Kobe left nothing in the tank. He left it all on the floor.
12. Shaq talks about Kobe: Our names will forever be attached. It makes me think sometimes in life instead of holding back certain things, we should just do.
13. Kobe to Sabrina Ionescu (WNBA-Oregon): Be you. It’s been good enough and that will continue to be good enough. / You have too much to give, to stay silent.
14. Confidence comes from preparation. Mamba Mentality simply means trying to be the best version of yourself. Everyday you [are] trying to be better. It’s a constant quest. It’s an infinite quest.
15. Rest at the end, not in the middle. (A quote that inspired him)
16. Say what you mean, do what you say. Measure your words because they are extremely impactful.
17. The beauty in being blessed with talent is rising above doubters to create a beautiful moment.
18. There’s a choice that we have to make as people, as individuals. If you want to be great at something, there’s a choice you have to make. We all can be masters at our craft, but you have to make a choice. What I mean by that is, there are inherent sacrifices that come along with that. Family time, hanging out with friends, being a great friend, being a great son, nephew, whatever the case may be. There are sacrifices that come along with making that decision.
19. Haters are a good problem to have. Nobody hates the good ones.They hate the great ones.
20. The important thing is that your teammates have to know you’re pulling for them and you really want them to be successful.
21. Once you know what failure feels like, determination chases success.
22. Either way, I refuse to change what I am. A lion has to eat. Run with me or run from me.
23. You need to figure out a way to invest in the future of your family and friends. This sounds simple, and you may think it’s a no-brainer, but take some time to think on it further. I said INVEST. I did not say GIVE.
24.The odd thing is that I wound up learning more about the world around me by having a singular focus inside of me.
Learn more about Mamba Mentality at the School of Greatness:
Kobe Bryant was undeniably an inspiration for many, not only for basketball fans, but for all. In a naturally aggressive sport, he instead chose to enhance his skills skillfully and intelligently lead his team using great grace and love.
In fact, one of the most notable aspects of Kobe Bryant wan’t simply because of his strength, rankings, championships, or 81 point game. It was his desire to better himself and everyone around him constantly. It was the love that he radiated for the game that inspired others to push to their limits. It was his willingness to put his everything in his everyday, despite doubters or challenges. It was how he moved through challenges using his insights by following his natural intuitive emotions to be and live better.
Mamba Mentality is striving to be a better YOU in everything that draws you. It’s knowing the power of confronting challenges head on and recalibrating tactics through meaningful preparation. It’s understanding that yesterday is gone and all we have is to do our best to be here today, fully.
What’s even more awe-inspiring about Kobe is how he puts his heart into all that brings him life. His basketball team, the franchise, family, and friends are forever touched by his natural ability to ignite curiosity and inspiration around him.
Gianna was quite lucky to have a father that taught her the power of love and passion at such an early age. And, there is no doubt that Gianna would have altered the WBNA and opportunities for women even more so if she were here today.
So, thank you Kobe Bryant. For teaching the world the power of consistent passion, love, and family. You have touched the lives of your fellow basketball teams all around world. You have inspired many to live everyday as if it were the last. You have already and will continue to infect the world with your love as we move through a different era of basketball and great leadership.
It’s already been a year and you will still be forever remembered.
Kobe Bryant and Gianna’s celebration of life:
This memorial truly shows Kobe and Gianna’s infectious love and inspiration for many people around them.
No matter your relationship to Kobe, basketball, or LA we will all remember Kobe when we crinkle up paper and throw it away, screaming Kobe in hopes of making it in.
Mamba mentality isn’t simply a tool, but a lifestyle choice.
Rest easy Kobe and Gianna Bryant. We were lucky to have you.
Never Forget: Legends Never Die.